POLISH TEACHERS’ UNION
Year of Fundation 1905
Quality education for all and well-paid education workers
The ZNP history dates back to 1905, i.e. the period of the Partitions of Poland when a group of country teachers under Russian occupation laid foundations for the existence of the institution defending the Polish language, teachers’ rights and promoting quality education.
The ZNP is the oldest and the biggest teachers’ trade union in Poland. We are a uniform, voluntary, independent and self-governing organisation of teaching and education staff employed in primary, secondary, higher education and science. We represent about 300 thousand teachers and education workers.
The ZNP is affiliated to the All-Poland Alliance of Trade Unions (OPZZ). The Teachers’ Voice (Glos Nauczycielski) has been the ZNP organ since 1917. As a trade union social and educational weekly magazine, it publishes materials on education, the teaching environment and the ZNP activity. Glos Nauczycielski is the biggest magazine in the education sector and at the same time the oldest one in Poland.
We fight for:
- equal chances in education for all children
- free education at all levels
- promotion of pre-school education
- a student-friendly school that guarantees quality education and develops talents, skills and interests
- dignity and high status of the teaching profession
- professional and social interests of all education and science workers
- pensioners’ right to dignity and decent life.
We take part in creating legislation.
We suggest and opt for solutions in favour of education adjusted to society, its needs and future challenges.
We cooperate with national and local authorities, support decisions and actions serving teaching, educational and tutelary purposes of schools and educational institutions.
We cooperate with institutions and organisations advocating for the rights and interests of children and youth.
The ZNP offers its members:
- counselling, assistance, legal protection
- help in vocational education and training, career development and advancement
- financial help in difficult situations
- discounts in the ZNP holiday centres and hotels
- leisure and treatment in its sanatoriums and holiday centres
- participation in cultural, recreational, sports and tourist events
- possibility to develop one’s interests in teaching clubs, teams and artistic groups.
The ZNP is affiliated to the European Trade Union Committee for Education (ETUCE) as well as to the Education International (El).
The ZNP closely cooperates with a number of European trade unions, inter alia from Bulgaria, France, Germany, Hungary and Ukraine.
The ZNP international cooperation includes participation in international seminars, conferences, working groups, projects and campaigns in the field of lifelong learning, code of conduct, economic crisis, privatisation, information technologies, vocational education and training, equality in education, higher education as well as health and safety issues.
In 2009 we participated in eurodemonstrations in Prague and Berlin.
Recently, we have Launched an action to support the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
Each year, we organize the Global Action Week initiated by the Global Campaign for Education
The ZNP is a uniform union. Its supreme authority is the National Assembly of Delegates which meets every 4 years The Assembly elects the ZNP President as well as the Central Committee, which is the union’s supreme executive body.
The ZNP structure consists of:
- the Central Committee having authority over a nationwide trade union organisation
- 16 districts covering Polish provinces
- 1908 branches operating in counties, communes and cities
- 14 546 centres operating in schools and educational institutions.
The range of actions undertaken by the ZNP can be illustrated by means of the following slogans
LET’S NOT HAVE OUR SCHOOLS SPOILT! DECENT PENSIONS FOR TEACHERS! LET’S SAVE STATE SCHOOLS! STOP COMMERCIALISATION AND PRIVATISATION! LET’S RAISE TEACHERS’ STATUS! GIVE THE TEACHERS A PAY RISE! LET’S ANALYSE TEACHERS’ WORKING TIME! PROVIDE SEXUAL EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS FOR OUR CHILDREN
Executive Board of the ZNP (Polish Teachers’ Union)
ul. Juliana Smulikowskiego 6/8 00-389 Warszawa post-office box (skrytka pocztowa) 202
tel. + 48 22 318-92-17, 318-92-18 fax + 48 22 318-92-19 e-mail: email@example.com
Office of the ZNP President
tel. + 48 22 318- 92-17, 318-92-18 fax + 48 22 318-92-19 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
International cooperation co-ordinator
tel. + 48 22 318-92-09 e-mail: email@example.com
Magdalena Kaszulanis tel. + 48 22 318-92-08, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of the ZNP President – legal information and inquiries
tel. + 48 22 318-92-88, 318-92-89 e-mail: email@example.com
tel. + 48 22 318-91-41 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization and Cooperation Team
tel. + 48 22 318-92-23, 318-92-71 fax + 48 22 318-92-24 e-mail: email@example.com
- ZNP statute
- activity of the local branches, centers and district of the ZNP
- cultural and sport and tourism activity of the ZNP
- ZNP history
- union information
Education Policy Team
tel. + 48 22 318-92-72 fax + 48 22 318-92-74 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- problems regarding education (reform, financing, functioning of schools and educational facilities)
- legal status and the problem associated with the teaching profession (the Teachers’ Charter, professional advancement, qualifications)
- the material situation and social issues of teachers (salaries, social services, healthcare)
- problems of workers in administration and services
- activity of the Central Young Teachers’ Club
- working conditions, work safety and hygiene
- Social Labour Inspectorate
tel. + 48 22 318-91-30 fax + 48 22 318-91-31 e-mail: email@example.com